“Hot chocolate is like a hug from the inside,” one chocolate lover famously said. “All you really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt,” concluded another.
Are you a chocolate lover, too?
If you are, try a simple chocolate meditation script provided in this article. For best results, imagine that it’s the first piece of chocolate you’ve ever tasted, and the the last piece of chocolate you’ll ever taste.
How to Practice Chocolate Meditation
Here’s a simple chocolate meditation script, included in the book The Headspace Guide to Mindful Eating by Andy Puddicombe, a former monk and the founder of Headspace. He writes:
1. Before you pick up the chocolate, take a couple of deep breaths, in through the nose and out through the mouth, just to allow the body and mind to settle a little. Mentally leave behind whatever you’re doing for a moment or two and make sure that there is nothing to distract you — that includes music, TV or the mobile phone. It’s just you and the chocolate.
2. Take a moment to consider the chocolate. Where has it come from? What’s in it? Try and imagine the different ingredients in their natural growing environment and even the types of people who might have grown the cocoa beans.
3. Before you begin to eat it, pause to notice if there’s a feeling of impatience, of just wanting to eat it as quickly as possible. Notice if there are feelings of pleasure and excitement, or feelings of guilt and unease about the idea of eating the chocolate.
4. Slowly unwrap the chocolate and take a good minute or so to explore it with your eyes, nose and hands. Look at it closely, smell it carefully and then touch it to see how it feels. Do the emotions change when you do this? Do some become more intense and others less intense?
5. By now you’ll be more than ready to taste it. Take a small bite (or alternatively put the whole thing in your mouth), but try to resist chewing the chocolate. Notice how it feels in the mouth, the temperature and the texture. Also become aware of the taste — whether it’s sweet, bitter, creamy, etc. Try to allow the chocolate to melt in the mouth by gently moving it around with your tongue.
6. As it melts, sit back in your chair and enjoy the moment. Remember, appreciate it, savour it and enjoy it!
Chocolate Meditation Guided Audio
Here’s a guided chocolate meditation audio, courtesy of Little, Brown Audio:
3 Best Chocolate Bars for Chocolate Meditation
Amplify your joy from this chocolate meditation by trying these hand-picked, top-rated chocolates:
1. Theo Chocolate Salted Almond Organic Milk Chocolate Bar
Every ingredient used in Theo Chocolate is carefully chosen for maximum deliciousness. Nothing unnecessary, just boldy flavorful chocolate.
Soy Free & Gluten Free: No emulsifiers or unnecessary ingredients, just delicious chocolate. Includes 6 individually wrapped 3oz bars; perfect for gifting or sharing.
I’ve tried Theo which contains no soy lecithin…….WOW! This is the taste I remember: no waxy stuff, no strange aftertaste, no blunting of the chocolate taste or scent, just pure melt in your mouth pleasure.
2. Ghirardelli Intense Dark Chocolate Bar
Indulge in the rich chocolate intensity after dinner, or serve Ghirardelli Intense Dark Chocolate at your next gathering to create the ultimate moment of sheer delight for your guests.
This kosher dark chocolate is made from high quality cacao beans sourced through our Farming Program and premium ingredients, to create a smooth, slow-melting chocolate.
My favorite thing to do with very dark chocolate like this is to sprinkle a little salt on it — Himalayan pink salt. It makes it taste slightly sweeter and the interplay of bitter chocolate with salt, what it does inside your mouth is magical.
3. Lindt Excellence Sea Salt Dark Chocolate Bar
Remind friends or loved ones of how much they mean to you with the refined richness of Lindt Excellence Sea Salt Dark Chocolate Bar. This dark chocolate candy bar has a touch of sea salt which reveals the intensity of dark chocolate and the seasoning of hand harvested sea salt crystals.
Enjoy these gourmet dark chocolate bars as an indulgent chocolate treat after a romantic dinner, or use them as baking chocolate for Valentines chocolate desserts.
Made with the finest ingredients, this refined chocolate also makes a delicious gift to pair with flowers or a bottle of wine for that special someone.
I absolutely love spicy chocolate and this is some of my favorite. I haven’t been able to find it in stores near me in ages, so I was ecstatic to find it on Amazon. It’s just as good as I remember. There’s just a hint of heat. It’s not overpowering and it compliments the smoothness of the chocolate perfectly.
Hi, I’m Gavril, the guy behind this blog. What you see here is the combination of my three favorite things: reading, writing, and mindfulness. While you’re here, subscribe to my blog updates and gain access to free mindfulness resources for stress relief.